Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Adelaide

I stayed 2 nights in Adelaide... I don't know if it is because I was out on a beautiful island full of exotic animals, basking in the ocean & sunlight the day before or what, but I just wasn't into it the first night... I went straight to bed.

The next day, however was a different story ;0) I walked around the town taking in the small, dustry frontier town scenery... with lots of big ol' victorian buildings to break it up... and found my way to the royal botanical gardens - here I discovered they had a planting of the Wollemi Pine ( a tree only discovered a few years ago in the blue mountains and thought to be extinct from the time of the dinsosaurs... pretty cool). I also also checked out the rainforest exhibit, which is one of the coolest (and hottest, humid places I've ever been) - this pic was taken from the biggest rose garden I've ever seen ;0)
I also stopped off at the National Wine Gallery and learned about the differnt varieties of grapes, then did a small wine tasting with some backpakers from Israel and Tokyo... it was fun. Of course by this point my appetite was up... so I had a nice oyster lunch...
Eventually, I made my way to the South Australia museum and after having some coffee in a cafe surrounded by massive whale skeletons... had just enough time to check out the exhibit on Abiriginols and their way of life.. it was great exhibit (lots of video documentary from the turn of the century) - not one word of all the horrible things that happened to them with colonisation which I found a little odd. This is a pic of a human skull that the aborignals used to use as a way to drink water... damn)....
I had a nap and then I went out to a big dance and had fun until 7 or so in the morning... it was great! Some of the 'shows" they put on even shocked me a bit... ;0)

No comments: